what do you guys think about blackstar amps?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
ghostpom12

Thu May 17, 2018 4:44 am

Whats your guys thoughts on them and experiences with blackstar amps. Are they any good? I've just recently started looking at them but haven't found out much about them

coyoteaz

Fri May 18, 2018 6:22 am

Just picked up a ID260 a couple of days ago. Been playing guitar for 30 years. I am blown away by the tones I'm getting out of this amp! I can't believe how much it sounds like a tube amp.

neuk01642

Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Mixed.
I had a IDTVP60 head a few years back. It was an interesting concept really poorly executed. Loved the idea of the emulation of different tube types but unfortunately the 'modelled' output values rendered at least half of the emulations useless for recording via the direct out or via my Two Notes Torpedo because they were so so quiet I simply couldn't crank the pre's on my interface enough to get decent signal to record with...

Fast forward to about a month ago. After having been round the houses of modellers (Kemper, L6 Helix), I realised I needed tubes back in my life again. I got a line on a second hand Series 1 200 with the KT88 power section. I absolutely love it! Combined with he ISF function you can go from almost Orange-esque thick fat tone all the way to Mesa growl and everything in between. It's an amazing piece of kit and because they don't have the brand cache that Mesa or Marshall or Fender do, the resale value is terrible which is amazing for picking one up second hand for peanuts.

So in my limited experience, Blackstar tube heads, awesome (I hear nothing but amazing things about the HT series as well). If you're looking at emulation, save your cash and get a Helix.

SecretRoom

Fri May 25, 2018 10:53 am

I have the Artisan 30 combo, hoping to get a 15 one day to add to it. It took a couple speaker swaps but I really like it now, one or two minor changes like maybe some tube rolling and it'll be a keeper. Total tank of an amp, got it used for $700 and the thing was obviously jacked around in shipping yet it was good to go with a few minor tweaks. Huge iron on it for a "30W" amp, as loud as the vintage clone 50W Marshalls I've had in the past, for better or worse (thus a 15 would be a nice add).

• Information