Is it possible to to use a power attenuator?

Discussion - Artist Series amplifiers. The New Classic.
Eric_F

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:57 pm

I am really digging the pure tone coming from this amp, but with this type of amp, you got to crank it to really make it sing. The problem is that I won't be able to crank it. Is it possible to modify the speaker out wires to put some sort of power attenuator in line? Or how about putting a volume pedal in the effects loop to bring the volume down once I get a nice saturation that I like?

Mike

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:18 am

I don't think you would have to modify anything. In the same area where the effects loop is you can see where the speaker is plugged into the jack. You just unplug that, plug that jack into the power attenuator, then run a speaker specific cable from the attenuator back to the jack (do not use a guitar cable).

I use an EQ that has a volume knob on it in the effects look and it also works fine for lowering the volume and I can also fatten up the tone a bit with the EQ. a volume pedal would do the same but the tone might suffer a bit. A Power attenuater would probably give you the best tone.

I also find that if I run a Wampler Paisley Deluxe pedal in front of my Artist 15 I can get some awesome tone all at bedroom levels.

Eric_F

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:14 am

Thanks Mike! That is some great news. I couldn't tell from the pictures (I haven't seen one in real life) how the speakers were connected. Now, I just have to decide on whether to get the 15 or the 30... If I get the 15, that leaves money for pedals :D

• Information