Emulated Output to PA

Discussion - Artist Series amplifiers. The New Classic.
doctordin

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:31 am

I'm having trouble getting a good sound plugging into a PA. I hoped it would be as simple as running a cable from the emulated output to the mixing desk and a little eq tweaking. What I found was that I was getting very low signal and really had to crank the levels on the mixing desk. The sound was quite trebly, not at all like the amp. I tried rerouting through a DI box, which helped a bit, but still not a great sound. Wondering what other people are doing please.

flimbo

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:12 am

What amp?

thephantum

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:05 pm

I usually mic the speaker and use PA to match levels. That's the best way to get the sound you hear from the amp...especially if your tone relies on power tube compression and/or OD . I also run an attenuator. So, if the amp is too loud for the venue, then I can knock down the dB level to match.
WARNING: Tube amps contain LETHAL voltages, even long after they have been unplugged. If you are not familiar with how to safety work on high voltage circuits, then PLEASE don't die...take it to a tech.

Rugbygirlsdad

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 am

I have another question regarding the emulated out (DI out).
Do the volume controls on the amp have any impact on the strength of the signal going to the desk or am I at the mercy of the sound guy?

Yoav Orion

Wed May 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Use a screened lead! the trebely sound may be due to hi frequency noises...

grayprog

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:52 pm

I also find that the level of simulated output is quite low. Even if I crank the volume all the way (let's say on channel 1). Master volume obviously doesn't affect it at all, as the output is before the power tubes. I connect a looper that had a recording I had done using a different amp (though the recording itself was before the amp, so just guitar and pedals). Running into the Blackstar's return that recording was much much louder (at unity level output on the looper) then what my guitar sounded like, or the volume at which my newly-recorded loop that I recorded through Artists's effects loop. Something's strange. I also have constant white noise/hiss from the amp.

• Information