is it new tube time?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
ray101!

Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:59 am

I've only had my ht 40 three months but the last two times I've played thru it, it sounds dull. It's not lively, in your face like it was. Surely it's not time to change tubes already is it? I only play about once or twice a week for maybe an hour at a time. Please help!

JohnBNY

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:06 am

It's hard to tell based on the limited description, but putting on new guitar strings will liven up the tone dramatically. I was experiencing the same thing with my Marshall. So I put on a set of new strings, and the amp just came alive.

Classicplayer

Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:29 pm

What guitar(s) and what pickups are you using when you notice this? I have the HT1R combo and I've owned it for three years. I used to notice something similar. The HT1R in reviews has been described as "warm" sounding, and that may be true due to the fact that ounces the amp's tubes warm up a few minutes after starting up, the tone usually warms and all the sharp edges disappear. I have two Les Paul both with humbuckers and my solving of this involved pushing the guitar's volume controls up to,at least 7.5'to 8. I formally ran them as low as 2, 3, and 4. I like them better at the higher numbers.

Classicplayer

ray101!

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:17 pm

I use the same guitar every time, it's a Gibson les paul studio. I understand about tubes warming up. But that's not the issue. If it was a different guitar then yeah I'd say it was the pickups. I'll try the new string route some one recommended.

Classicplayer

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:03 pm

I would try putting guitar volumes on 10 and tone controls on 10. Turn on your amp and if all the highs seem to be there, play for 20 minutes or so and see at what point your issue returns and how long it takes.

Classicplayer

ray101!

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:51 pm

Update: I took the back off my amp and tightened every mounting screw I could find on the speaker, enclosure everything and now I'm back to that great tone I had before. I did notice that a few screws were lose cause I tightened them when my amp first arrived. Thanks for all the response guys!!!

• Information