Upgraded my HT20 Speaker

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Overdrive

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi, I am new here, just bought a 2nd hand HT20 combo recently and want to share my experience of upgrading the Rocket 50.

While I thought the sound of the Celestion Rocket 50 was so so, there was not a lot of treble or even bottom end available - and the clean channel was a bit dead tonewise and lacking in volume, clarity certainly not full and sparkly or fender like by any means. I felt the amp was not up to gigging with the Rocket 50 especially as I use clean sound a lot.

I decided take the plunge and order a new Celestion G12 75 16 Ohm as a replacement based on what I have read online.

The new speaker arrived & I just installed the speaker today and what a difference !!!!.

The volume of the amp has increased and the sound is infinitely better, the EQ now works much better and the clean channel sounds fantastic and is now VERY loud. Easily loud enough for gigging. There seems to a bit less gain with the new speaker, however perhaps it needs to be broken in to get this. The amp is now seriously loud for a 20 watter !! I cant imagine how good it will sound after it has broken in.

So I recommend anyone who has this amp to seriously consider replacing the Rocket 50 with a Celesion G12 75.

The difference is staggering and I now have a fantastic amp I am very pleased with. I am seriously considering selling off my mesa boogie now as this amp is amazing.

When you lift out the rocket you can feel that the magnet is just a fraction of the size/ weight of the G12 75 . The speaker cost me 60 quid

IM4Tone

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:17 pm

I have always disliked the Rocket 50's. Gave me visions of a wet blanket thrown over the amp or cab. The medium and higher end Celestions are great sounding to my ears, so I can just imagine your satisfaction w/ the new sound. Different speakers make major differences in sound. Image

majikmojo

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 pm

not surprised...the G12 75 are great speakers....

i have a pair that i'm holding to change out 8)

Sonofarich

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:49 pm

Yep...speaker upgrade makes a big difference in the HT20...I'm very happy with my WGS Vet 30.

cayle

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 am

The stock Celestion Rocket 50 really isn't a great speaker. I replaced mine with a Weber Scumback H55 and I couldn't ask for more.

ronnie robinson

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm sure once the G12 75 has had 100 hours of use it will sound even btter

metalpr@yahoo.com

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Same thing happened to me.

I replaced the stock speaker with a Greenback 8ohms I had in a corner of the house and the amp changed completely.
Now the HT-20 is way more louder, cuts through the mix easily, got more crunched, focused and punchier and it was not my intention but the amps got a tone very closed to EVH brown sound with just a squier classic vibe 60 strat with JB...Again I was not after that, but every time I gig since then, people always try to see what the trick is because I don't use pedals at all, just the amp, a cheap strat and a volume pedal to get clean tones (since then I don't even use the channel switch, I just roll back the volume and that's it).

Even the reverb improved (it's more present and spacious when rolling back the volume and it's just right mixed then full throttle). To be sincere, I never though this amp could make me so happy.

for those who want 80's -90's tone, I highly recommend a greenback.

Bigsmudger

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Thinking of doing my 20 combo - I'm stuck between a V30 and a Greenback, or maybe importing from WGS.
I've been looking at these WGS Reapers or Vet 30s and still might well go down that route but there are no dealers in the UK
and ordering from either the USA or France proves to be more expensive with 20% tax and postage than a new V30.

The concern is this, is there enough room between the HT20 output and the 25w greenback?

ronnie robinson

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:23 am

Bigsmudger wrote:
The concern is this, is there enough room between the HT20 output and the 25w greenback?
Yep that is a bit of a close call....it may well be OK and depends on how hard you run your ht20 most of the time, a higher rated speaker would be the safe choice

Bigsmudger

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:39 am

The reason behind it is to see if I can coax any more volume out of it. Would be a shame to spend
80 quid on a speaker just to see it go bang. It would be running virtually flat out unless we mike up.
It's just not quite up to gigging with everything else we got going on so thought
a louder rated speaker might make the difference.
From memory I think the Rocket 50 is 95db,the Greenback is 97db and the V30 is 100db....
looks like it's the V30 then. :twisted:

• Information