use of TVP

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
dejavu

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:37 pm

Hello, how do you use the TVP section.
Do you say, "this is the one and only power valve i want to work with" or do you change between them just as you are lucky.
Is there a logic how your use it.

Dejavu

random

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Not to be a jerk, but how do you use any of the tone controls on an amp? You try stuff and see if you like it with various combinations of the other available controls, do variations on your favorites, and sometimes check out stuff you thought you hated before and see if you still do :)

I don't think there's a cookbook answer. Or am I missing the point?

maurice_moss

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi Dejavu,

I have to think about this a lot too.. to be honest I find it a matter of preference, but as a general guide, the following thread mught be useful: http://www.blackstaramps.com/forum/view ... 6V6#p18483

dejavu

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Hy random, its all right ;) the point is, that with this amp, i feel like spinning round in circles. When i think i got a good patch, it does'nt take much time an i think there is something to make better or has to feel in another way... and so on... and so on. I don't come to an end.
(it is clear that we don't talk about the difference of clean and overdrive ;) )
So i want to know if the metallist takes this tvp, the blueser prefer that one and the rocker just another one. Or if there is another "logic" behind this. :idea:

random

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Sorry, guess I did miss your point.

Take a look at the Amps By Tubes Used spreadsheet here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

That was done by frettfreak, who posted about it in this thread.

random

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:45 pm

dejavu wrote:So i want to know if the metallist takes this tvp, the blueser prefer that one and the rocker just another one. Or if there is another "logic" behind this. :idea:
One guy's no-logic is another guy's genius though... If you find tones you like, and they're not what people "usually" do, even better.

dejavu

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Hy random,
some thoughts about it.
To know witch valve works in witch amp is already helpfull...
Another example, when i play quiet, i like the EL84 but this does'nt work in the Band, there it is to spongy.
Things that sounds good at home, dont work in the Band.
So i have to say that the tvp not only gives you another sound, it gives you another feeling. You can call it as the "third dimension" :geek:
So i thougt there are some folks who would tell about their impressions.

maurice_moss

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:35 pm

I guess its working the same way a valve does normally, increased output makes them act differently

I have to pick a Saturday afternoon to spend tweaking sounds at band volumes... but then i'd have to with a valve amp too I guess.. Unless it had that DPR like Series1

hamer301

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:33 pm

One of the main reason why people buy this amp is because of the TVP my question is why is their a engage button for the TVP why didn't Blackstar just design the amp with the TVP on all the time so their won't be engage button.

The KIDD

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:46 am

Interesting Conversation going here Gang! At , first I thought the OP meant going back and forth between TVP ON , then OFF. But I see now your talkin about just switchin tubes...When I first got the amp I was going back and forth between, Fender 6L6 and Marshall EL34 listenin for the overdrive changes in EQ ,saturation, compression etc ..THEN...I switched the TVP OFF and IMMEDIATELY said."That aint happenin again" :lol: ..Been around tube amps since the 60s, so even being a drummer, I already had a pretty good idea what each tube was likely to give me with OD but Clean or Crunch...Not so much..MAN, thats where IM REALLY learnin some lessons...I learned that I really needed to get rid of my OLD SCHOOL thinking that only EL34 was for My "Bad Co sound"and 6L6 is for Doobies, CCR etc etc. But yeah, like you guys,I find myself CONSTANTLY switchin tubes for Lower DB levels than they're set on for my show. Outta of 116 presets , the ONLY TUBE I havent found any use for, no matter what the voice setting ,is that funky soundin KT66. :lol: Sounds like ya have the amp covered with a tarp playin in the rain.. :lol:..Just about the time I THINK Im through experimenting and wanna leave things alone, I start changing 6L6 to EL84, then EL34 to KT88. :lol: .... then back again..When I want an EL34 with extra MIDS , Ill switch to KT88 and get exactly what Im lookin for or I want more of slappy rhythmic clean sound for a funk tune, Ill go from 6L6 to EL84 and there it is.Ill likely DIE with that knob in my LH..... :lol:..Sometimes ,just really small changes between GAIN and VOL can make a difference in gettin that MAGIC breakup texture ya been lookin for! Good thing this amp wasnt available to be my first in 74 cause Id STILL be in my bedroom with LH on that knob.... :lol:

KIDD

https://www.youtube.com/JOHNKUHNMUSIC

• Information