Best OD Pedal...discuss....

Share the sound in your head
dlotto

Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:32 pm

Finally gave up on Marshalls in favor of a Club 40 (extremely tone close to my old 800.)

Unfortunately the Xotic BB doesn't match up well. Looking for OD that doesn't touch the tone for lead sustain. A Boss EQ's or a TC Sparkbooster isn't quite enough.

Thinking of yet another classic Tube Screamer, (bought and gave 2 away already). Rev Billy Gibbons or Charlie Sexton would be good examples of sustain tone I can think of.

"If we need that extra push over the cliff" The great Nigel Nufnel

Sonofarich

Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Timmy, RC or AC Booster, Gain Changer, Sparkle Drive or go the transparent compressor route - RAF Mirage, Diamond, Keeley, Love Squeeze or even the EB MVP with grit knob.

dlotto

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks for the reply Sonofarich. So many pedal boast transparency when in fact none I've tried ever really do. From $80 to $200, once you get past that sweet spot they all turn into the classic rat box. It's finding the elusive one that has that sweet spot that matches up perfect with your amp.

Sonofarich

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Then I would start with either the Timmy or anything with a clean blend knob. I don't think you would be disappointed for clean+ boost.

ffooxx

Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:58 pm

I have also HT-40 and I feel that pair it with Way Huge Green Rhino is the best. I have previously tried MXR GT-OD, Mesa Boogie FLUX-DRIVE, Ibanez Tube Screamer, OD-8 X-Drive and exchange them.Green Rhino is my very favorite one, cheep OD-8 X-Drive is 2nd best the only problem is the high noise floor.

Sonofarich

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:18 am

Love my Green Rhino also, but I wouldn't say that it 'doesn't touch the tone'...like the OP mentioned. Although it isn't transparent, the GR is a fantastic OD. If the OP is just looking for a transparent 'push'...the others mentioned are good and stack crazy well with the GR, if you decide to go that route.

ffooxx

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Sorry, I I just wanted to share my opinion.I was also on the quest of looking for transparent, organic OD without those unwanted sound artifacts, which just emphasize the BS tone. I forgot to mention I also tried the Hardwire CM-2 which has also new home now :). Besides that my setting is very low gain on the GR and match the volume with clean channel and just slightly cut bass and shape little bit to the left.

dlotto

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Love opinions...keep them coming! I think most tone chasers are looking for that one magic bullet; infinite sustain without cheesey distortion. I took a chance and ordered a Blackstar LT drive pedal. I'm betting it should work well with a Blackstar amp. I've chased enough expensive boutique pedals that honestly sound pretty much the same in a live situation. I only run a OD at say 9-10 o'clock. Volume knob with a bleedoff cap and fingertips go a long way. I googled "Boutique" and it comes from the French word for " Way friggin' overpriced"!

Sonofarich

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:58 pm

ffooxx wrote:Sorry, I I just wanted to share my opinion.I was also on the quest of looking for transparent, organic OD without those unwanted sound artifacts, which just emphasize the BS tone. I forgot to mention I also tried the Hardwire CM-2 which has also new home now :). Besides that my setting is very low gain on the GR and match the volume with clean channel and just slightly cut bass and shape little bit to the left.
No worries...I agree with you that the Green Rhino is a fantastic OD. It can be used at low gain setting effectively. I use mine for medium+ gain settings, pushed by either a Sparkle Drive (or a Timmy) and shaped after by the other (both have great EQs). Just mentioning that the SD and especially the Timmy, have remarkable transparency/versatility and can be had for $129 new. Awesome stackers that can create an incredicle singing sustain on existing OD or the GR.

dlotto

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:12 am

Tried the LT Drive pedal...sending it back.

• Information