Post your Blackstar amp!

Upload your pictures here
toneseeker

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:28 am

OzStrat wrote:
MusashiChan wrote:My little 35kg Blackstar buddy with its little 35kg Fender Twin...

My S1-45 is a heavy beast, but it is not a match for my '68 Twin. The Twin is a real back breaker, but then it does have an additional huge transformer to convert 110v to 240v (bought new in the USA without a multi-voltage selector & shipped to Australia). The thing is caught firmly in the grip of gravity and a roadie's nightmare.
cool rig,does the transformer give you any problems converting to aus power,it doesn't flicker or anything to suggest power surge,
i was wondering as i had my eye on a little head in usa that's all.

DrKarnivore

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:29 pm

MusashiChan wrote:
OzStrat wrote:
MusashiChan wrote:My little 35kg Blackstar buddy with its little 35kg Fender Twin...

My S1-45 is a heavy beast, but it is not a match for my '68 Twin. The Twin is a real back breaker, but then it does have an additional huge transformer to convert 110v to 240v (bought new in the USA without a multi-voltage selector & shipped to Australia). The thing is caught firmly in the grip of gravity and a roadie's nightmare.
It wouldn't be a problem if those amps had two big handles to carry them with a friend. I had a Marshall JVM and it was made like a big cabinet, with two side handles.
I can't understand why they are designing such combos with one handle and only one. They haven't try to carry it ? :D
Mesa MkV combos are a ton, like 35kg or something and only have a top handle too. Crazy!

OzStrat

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:13 am

The S1-45 does have grab handles and they are worth their weight in gold. The temptation to put them in the Twin is strong, but then it is not original. It is a particularily good speciman as it spent 25 years in a closet and I am loathe to modify it.
I bought the Blackstar for it's ability to dial in lower wattage for smaller gigs. The Twin was overkill. I was intending to get a Fender Pro Junior after playing through one at a pub jam. I couldn't believe that little box punched out such a big fat sound.
While in the shop to look at one, I noticed the S1-45 and 4.5 watts and plugged in. I was hooked from the first chord and all thoughts of a small, light amp vaporised as my "gotta have it" gene kicked in with brutal force. The only question was did I need to sell my grandmother. Thankfully not.
Might still have to get the pj though.

toneseeker

Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:10 am

OzStrat wrote:The S1-45 does have grab handles and they are worth their weight in gold. The temptation to put them in the Twin is strong, but then it is not original. It is a particularily good speciman as it spent 25 years in a closet and I am loathe to modify it.
I bought the Blackstar for it's ability to dial in lower wattage for smaller gigs. The Twin was overkill. I was intending to get a Fender Pro Junior after playing through one at a pub jam. I couldn't believe that little box punched out such a big fat sound.
While in the shop to look at one, I noticed the S1-45 and 4.5 watts and plugged in. I was hooked from the first chord and all thoughts of a small, light amp vaporised as my "gotta have it" gene kicked in with brutal force. The only question was did I need to sell my grandmother. Thankfully not.
dropping to the 4.5 w should sound great,the reason i went the ht20 combo was the weight factor...21kg,carrying twin speaker combo's is not fun!
it gives me more headroom and can keep up fine in a band situation.

MusashiChan

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:17 am

OzStrat wrote:The S1-45 does have grab handles and they are worth their weight in gold. The temptation to put them in the Twin is strong, but then it is not original. It is a particularily good speciman as it spent 25 years in a closet and I am loathe to modify it.
The Fender is very good, but for the price, it's better i think to find a vintage Champ. It will cost the same on eBay and will sound much better !

dewd01

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Here's mine. Mini chicken heads on everything except od and clean volume, regular white on those. No interferance - the white od volume and gain knobs justclear each other. Much easier to see and no need to install lights! available online. GOld pin 12ax works best for me and I swapped a 10" GB and V30 for the G10Ns and converted the cabs to open back. I wouldn't convert to 12", they're not that well built some sort of fiber board, not as cheap as HD stuff but not MDF either. You'd probablyshake it aprt after a while. 1x12's sound great too but I like the "mini stack", and the wieght on my old back. IF I want bigger I hve my Budda SDII 18 with custom cab and 2 Budda 1x12's. ALso with a GB and V30 each. LIttle brother big brother.

I used to play my Budda threw a hotplate at 12ohms, pop the bright switch and get pretty good tone. this is much better as it is not "choked" by the hp. I cab get real tube od sounds at low volume, really I can, it's not just some PR BS like a lot of other amps. In fact my blackheart LG at 3 watts will out volume this amp without any problem, this is the problem I had withe the blackheart, still too load so i had to choke it with the hp.

With this amp I get really good tone, with right tubes and speakers, at a volume level that doesn't make my wife start flippling the basement lights off and on... plus I got such a great deal on it that I only have a total of $650 into it and I see them for $800 online...

MusashiChan

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:27 am

you forgot the pics no ??

dewd01

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:01 am

Tried to upload but for some reason it keeps popping me back to the screen with the "browse" the hd button after I choose the files and click Upload. I'll try again. The mini chicken heads are a little pricey @ $5/ea but they look cool, more vintage. Even with lights you still can't see those little dots on the knobs. Tung sol 12bh and gold pin EH 12ax7 currently seems to have smoother/more gain. Still waiting on the gold pin 12bh...

Konrad Chen

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:01 am

Well I post all my pics on flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dh_chen/se ... 359355710/

and this is one of them :D

MusashiChan

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:50 pm

The head is my artisan 30, so that i can just....move it...the chassis of the combo is now a cab, very cool to try différent settings !

• Information