HT 20 basics

Upload your pictures here
abc

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:59 am

Hi I'm pretty new to the use of an electric guitar so I am pretty unclear about the whole thing and have some basic questions.
I have an HT Studio 20 Amp and a Fender stratcaster.
What is the difference between overdrive and distortion?
If I'm using a distortion pedal what is mainly producing the sound, the pedal or the pedal brings out the distortion sound of the amp?
Or is that the difference in a boost and distortion pedal?

IM4Tone

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:52 am

Difference between Overdrive and Distortion is degree. There is no scientific, definitive point where one leaves off and the other takes over, but in very general terms, Overdrive is mild distortion and Distortion is heavy Overdrive :shock:

Boost pedals normally have the objective of increasing the signal level (volume) without distorting it. Some boost pedals are designed to boost certain frequencies more than others. Distortion pedals are doing just that, distorting the signal with or without an increase in volume.

And, of course, there is a relationship between volume and distortion in amps. Some show it more than others. Some will remain clean (undistorted) with very large increases in volume, others begin to distort with modest volume increases. So if you're using a distortion pedal and not increasing the volume at all, the pedal is "mainly producing the sound", but if you are additionally increasing the volume, the sound may be a product of the pedal and amp, depending on the characteristics of the amp. An amp that has the tendency to distort as the volume is increased, will overdrive or distort somewhat with even a clean boost.

Did I help clear up your understanding, or further confuse you? :shock: :shock: :shock: Image

WELCOME to the forum Image

• Information