HT5H Emulated Output

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
spacin24

Wed May 11, 2016 2:50 am

I just received a HT5H and was trying to use the emulated output, however I can only get sound though the emulated jack IF standby is on...which from everything I have been reading is not how it should be. Any thoughts?

I did have it plugged in to a cab to test this so I didn't damage the amp.

------------------------------------------

Power on / Standby off- No sound out the emulated output or cab
Power on / Standby on - Sound out the emulated output but not out the speaker cab with headphones connected (unplug the headphones from the emulated output, sound out the speaker cab)

Adam-T

Wed May 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Only have the HT5 Combo (Metal version) which is basically a HT5R-H with a free 1X12 speaker thrown in - the speaker still has to physically plug into the 1X16 ohm socket like it would if they were separates .

Anyway the Emulated out works when Jacked into a Desk using a Guitar lead all the time regardless to whether the amp is on standby or not - not tried headphones though can`t see how they`d make a difference (a jack is a jack)

spacin24

Wed May 11, 2016 5:11 pm

So it sounds like I may have a wiring issue inside the head then...nothing comes through the emulated output when the amp is on standby mode....sigh

Adam-T

Wed May 11, 2016 5:53 pm

I thought one of the whole points of the setup was so that you could use the emulated output instead of a speaker (though with it plugged in of course for safety) for that, it`s essential that it works in standby mode , having a cab blasting out as well rather defeats the point (and damn intrusive in a studio recording situation) .... has the head been modded or messed with ? .

spacin24

Wed May 11, 2016 10:34 pm

I couldn't say if the head was messed with as I bought it used from Guitar Center, and of course they know nothing about the head or any of the functions.

When the Power and Standby are both on and I have a lead plugged into the emulated jack, the speaker is silent, if I unplug the lead from the emulated jack the speaker then has sound. I was hoping to set it on my desk with no cab connected for silent recording but its seeming less possible to do that with this model.

Most of the info that I can find points to the fact that the emulated output should be able to be used by leaving the head in standby mode with out any speaker leads plugged into the back.....but its not working that way for me.

I did find one or two articles on different forums stating that the early model of the HT5H required both the Power and Standby to be in the On position for the emulated to work, which is a bummer and kind of defeats the purpose that I bought this head.

I may have to look at a HK Tubemeister with the integrated Red box for a desk top amp.....Unless I am missing something?

Gambin

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:13 pm

I'm really tempted to buy a lovely looking HT5 (or 1) but due to being in a small flat filled with old neighbours I mainly play guitar with headphones so digital sounds have been my main option.

There is a guitar shop fairly near to me that stocks Blackstar so I will give it a go but I'd like some advice from people who have the amp rather than a salesman. To get a headphone sound I warm up the amp then put it on standby and plug in my headphones?

I noticed that this amp has an emulated output do any of you guys use this for headphones and if so does it sound as good as it does through the speaker? I'd love to be able to go back to valve amps rather than nasty (but very useful) digital stuff.

flimbo

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:54 pm

I have a ID15:TVP which has a very good headphone sound using the emulated out. However, I bought the HT1R and although it sounds good through a 4x8 cab, the emulated out sounds awful in comparison to the ID15TVP. If a decent headphone sound is what you're after then I would dismiss the HT1 or HT5.

thephantum

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:44 pm

^^^What he said.

Tube amps sound their best when the volume is cranked up and the output stage is pushing the power tube(s) hard.

The EO essentially bypasses the entire output stage. So for strictly low volume and headphone use, you are better off with a digital modeling amp like something from the ID series.

• Information