Replacement Footswitch with LED

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
TheBigAitch

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi Guys,

Just got myself a second hand HT5 combo with matching ext cab - very pleased, what a little beauty.

Anyway the footswitch is knackered. I've searched on the forums here but not had any luck finding quite the answers I need...

I'm not interested in repairing / getting an identical blackstar replacement - because a) I really need an LED on the footswitch to indicate active channel selection b) the lead is ridiculously short and c) I'm in NZ and branded spares like this are stupidly expensive here.

So - am I correct in assuming it's a momentary footswitch? Would a boss fs-5u do the job? don't think the fs-5u has an led though - can anyone recommend any alternatives that they've bought?

Thanks in advance!

thephantum

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:37 pm

It's actually a latching footswitch. The Boss FS-5L (latching) does have an LED: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... Wc94vw_wcB

Keep in mind that the Boss FS-5L requires a battery for the LED to work. I also don't believe it comes with a cable. The factory footswitch (Blackstar FS-4) does not require a battery and has cable attached. This is the cheapest I've seen the FS-4...I don't know what they would charge you for shipping though: http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/bla ... footswitch.

It sounds like you don't have an FS-4...because it has a 3m (10ft) cable and a bright red LED. If you do, my recommendation is to fix it. It's a very simple device and, while you are in there, you can put a longer cable on it....all for less money than buying a replacement. :mrgreen:

TheBigAitch

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't realise that the new version of the basic pedal has an led.

Does anyone know for sure that the led works with the older version of the combo?

I'd rather have to stick a battery in the boss one than fork out on one of these blackstar ones only to find that it'siincompatible with the older version of the combo.

Sorry if it's a noobish question!

maurice_moss

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:21 am

Hey, sorry to jump in,

I think you may need a momentary footswitch for your HT-5...
If it has the 10" speaker, it will be the older one with a momentary footswitch, no LED, but the new ones wth the 12" speaker need a latching footswitch which does have an LED..
Maybe the old one didnt have an LED because it is momentary and doesnt know which channel the amp is on? I'm not an amp tech, so I dont really know, just a guess..

XwpisONOMA

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:33 am

I have the newer HT-5C with the 10ft cable footswitch with the (very bright) red led.

If you want I can take it apart, dissect it (!) and figure how it works so I can answer any questions you may have while repairing yours (that's what you're trying to do right?) and I can even take some pictures if needed.

Just let me know, always glad if I can help.

Cheers mate!

TheBigAitch

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:07 am

thanks for the offer but i already ordered and had delivered the newer version with the longer lead and led... and can confirm...

IT DOESN'T WORK ON THE OLDER VERSION OF THE COMBO WITH THE 10" SPEAKER.

I think maurice may be right, sadly I had already ordered the other one before he posted :(

I have found conflicting info about this (here and around the web elsewhere too) I have also had ZERO response from blackstar themselves which is VERY disappointing.

Therefore I'll order a momentary footswitch and report back again so that hopefully anyone in the future with a similar issue may find this thread and not have the complete nightmare that i've had. Admittedly half my problem is living in NZ and having no music shop nearby, but hey-ho, will report back for the benefit of others once i've spent more money!!

PS - does anybody need an FS4 - I've got one that I'm about to chuck on ebay! haha! :?

TheBigAitch

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:07 am

So, here's the definitive answer.

The 10" speaker version of this amp requires a momentary footswitch. It would have originally been supplied with an FS-1.

Blackstar did eventually come back to me, however they were so slow (apparently my email went in their spam folder) that I'd had time to converse AT LENGTH and ORDER a pedal from Bryan who runs Saturnworks pedals in the US of A. Blackstar also DECLINED to advise whether an alternate, easily available pedal would work (had asked them about alternatives such as BOSS FS5U at the time, not ideal as no LED but easily available out here) and would only give me the official blackstar nz contact details. This would have undoubtedly been a slow and expensive option. Not too mention it doesn't address the issue of an indicative LED being part of what I required.

Well my new pedal arrived today. Bryan at Saturnworks Pedals is THE MAN. He built me a footswitch, he stuck a dual colour led in it, he made it polarity switchable (future proofing) it's robust, and it works and he did it all for £27 posted to New Zealand!!!!! TWENTY SEVEN POUNDS!

I cannot recommend his services more highly for anyone else who finds themselves in a similar position in the future and hopefully other people will find this info too and not have to waste weeks and weeks going in circles like I did due to lack of/conflicting information online.

Re my comments about Blackstar's poor service. I'm not posting this to slag them off, what I have written is factually accurate and what I experienced was very poor service from them so I feel it's fair to point this out as hopefully they can use it to improve their future service.

• Information