Pedal Set up

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
GratefulNed

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:58 am

Ya, I was surprised and honestly disappointed with how the gain channel handles OD and boost pedals, maybe I should've known better. And as some folks have pointed out here and elsewhere, once you get the clean channel to 1-2 oclock you're not dealing with a lot of headroom there either. I guess i was just expecting more based on what folks told me about this amp.

Today I played a set with the OCD giving me my gain, in clean channel, and using the gain channel as my lead boost. Works pretty well actually. The OCD plus gain channel together is simply too noisy and inorganic to use for the guts of songs, chords, etc but is ok for leads. I do plan to stick an EQ in the loop though, then maybe the gain channel is off for good.

And yep the SP Compressor is back in front. What a wonderful little box that is.

Rhust

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:35 pm

imo, you are missing out if you dismiss the onboard OD channel... it's a good channel by itself, but if you boost it gently it's even better...

again, think of it as a pedal... it's similar to the blackstar tube driven pedals, which are fantastic on their own... it's probably directly out of the HT-DIST pedal, actually. use a buffer and/or compressor early in the chain. and use the compressor as a compressor... some people try to make that into a boost too, and that's not good.. and use the OCD or a tubescreamer like a dirty boost on VERY low gain, high level... or just use a true clean boost

I use pedals with both channels for different effects. fuzz likes to be on the OD channel(turned low).. and can also create a different fuzz or sludge-type effect by running ODs like my red llama into the OD channel.. I personally don't use a compressor, but that's my personal preference.. partially because it's a bedroom amp, and I just don't need it. just experiment... some things work, others won't... it's not the amp's fault, if they don't... every amp is different.

Sonofarich

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:09 am

Rhust is right...light boosting of the OD channel usually works best. You can do this any number of ways with your favorite pedal, and an EQ in the loop works great to further sculpt your tone. The OD channel is very nice (in it's own rite) just doesn't react to pedals the same as the clean channel. Different OD pedals react uniquely with the gain channel, some much better than others. Experiment and find what works best for you. The OCD will work pretty darn good with both channels, just not the same setting/gain for both. Clean takes whatever you like, OD channel likes just to be boosted/low gain, as mentioned.

Have fun...

GratefulNed

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:53 am

Appreciate the input. Out of town this week and not able to tinker with amp, but I did like what I was hearing last week with the clean channel on, SP Comp> OCD > then mods in loop, and using the gain channel as my solo boost. I'll give the gain channel another chance and turn the gain down on the OCD (I only have it on about 9 oclock anyway) and try loading it with the SP and the OCD volumes. Does leave me still the problem of getting a clean boost (volume) for leads out of this amp, but yeah the EQ sounds like the way to go for that - someone above or in another forum suggested using the EQ for tone most of the time, but parking the sliders in a way that you can actually turn off the EQ for a lead boost. Still kinda tempted to try both the Xotic effects (SP Comp then EP Booster) in front, and putting the OCD as the first pedal in the loop to see what happens. I like that tight, 'singing' tone for leads instead of just dirt (Rat, etc) so hoping that might work (OCD for lead boost).

MetalOctane

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Just put a clean boost, EQ, or a volume pedal, in the loop for a solo boost. This works well for both channels.

GratefulNed

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:48 pm

I did try my Xotic EP Booster for that, but that was one of my original frustrations with this setup - when the EPB engaged it sucked away some of my gain. Volume change was fine, dials in nicely, but for lead boosting it didn't work tone-wise, it cleaned it up. Thinking now after folks have talked about the limits of this amp that this has something to do with the loop itself not the pedal. Might be picking up an MXR 109 to try instead soon.

Rhust

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:21 pm

if a boost in the loop cleaned up your gain, you might have the loop switch on the wrong value...

I run the boost out front and an EQ in the loop (fish n chips)... I find it thickens the gain and adds definition, might reduce the fizz-over tones, but not the gain

jumeirah

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:27 am

This is my pedal set-up on the HT5R combo. The effects in the case are always connected to the loop (ie Tuner, Eq, Mod, Delay, Lopper). I always set the HT5R gain channel for an overdrive tone. I use a Wah and distortion pedal on through clean channel for a different voicing. (ie Classic Rock, Modern Metal)
Attachments
overdrive.jpg
overdrive.jpg (26.36 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
loop.jpg
loop.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 7401 times

• Information