Overdrive pedals

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
Yahoo Slurp [Bot]

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:04 pm

So who's using an od pedal to push the od channel? I'm thinking of picking one up but not wanting to spend a small fortune. Either the Joyo ultimate drive or the BBE green screamer. I've also considered the HT-Metal in front of it. Is anyone using any of these?

MetalOctane

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:16 pm

I use a simple Boss SD-1 with mine. It works well with the HT-5.

Bigsmudger

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Mate of mine uses the BBE Green Screamer in front of the Crunch channel of his S1-45 - sounds good.
I'm using a Tubescreamer on unity gain in front my S1-45 on S/crunch to tidy the signal up. Again, works well

Crunchifyable

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Tubescreamer clones aren't a bad idea (like the bad monkey, and reissues / remakes from Ibanez). Though I've never really felt the need to use one on the HT-5. But then again, I don't really do modern hi gain, and I could see it coming in handy if you like to run it past 5 on gain.

I think a Blackstar HT pedal would be overkill for this amp. That and I think if you want tighter gain, more tubes aren't the answer necessarily.

The thing about the tubescreamers is they aren't really about gain or boost. They do something of a filter to tighten up the low end, and maybe bring the mids out.

One of my favorites actually is my digitech RP unit, that emulates a handful of stomp boxes. Surprisingly, easier for me to use than the Bad Monkey.

LostInRockFormations

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:03 am

I like my RP255, very useful as a tuner and has a good wah and many effects.
The distortions arent that great on their own but can help to change tones.
Good value, with 80+ settings there has to be something you like.

I have only had my HT5RH a few days, so far I havent really found a must have pedal,

Tried the Ibanez Jemini, maybe helps a bit not much difference.
Digitech grunge is cheap fun, gives a broken distorted sound.
I also like my BigKnob Zendrive, not sure if you can still get them.
The Zoom TriMetal was a bit of a disappointment, on my Marshall it can give a huge sound, havent found that sound on the blackstar yet, it seems to clean up the pedal too much.

Got about another 10 pedals to try, will let you know.

kerrym

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks for the replies. I had to make a new account, not sure what happened to the other but, it wouldn't let me log in. Anyway, I've been using a Zoom G2 in front of my HT-5 using the overdrive and eq. Works fairly well. I think that what I'm missing is the bottom end in the sound. I'm considering a good 2x12 cab loaded with v- 30's. I'm really loving the HT-5 though.

Crunchifyable

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:58 pm

I have the same lack of bottom end on the HT-5 when used with the combo speaker. Goes away when used with a 4x12, but a 4x12 introduces other issues (loudness with 97db speakers)

With a 1x12, what I find handy is to lower the treble, set the mids where you like them, then adjust the bass.

Right now, mine is set Bass 2 (9 o clock), mids 3 o'clock, Treble 1 of 10, ISF at 6 (so halfway between noon and 3). That results in a tight and midrangey tone, with lots of lower-mid grind.

When you lower the treble, you suddenly find the amp isn't so loud. So the treble control is really like a second volume control. When it's set that low, and you have the mids cranked, then the bass becomes your secondary volume control.

I wouldn't go with 2x12 V-30s because they're LOUD (basically make a 5 watt amp sound as loud as a 10 watt, 3db louder, just by using one speaker that's a V30. moving to a 2x12 adds another 3db from coupling, so that means you are net 6db louder than a 1x12 with a lower sensitivity speaker (~97 db)). A lot of people love em, and they are a good speaker. But the last thing any home / bedroom player needs imo.

A bigger cab will add something that's missing from the tiny ht-5 cab. My 4x12 is kind of mid-scoopy so I run the ISF cranked on it for the similar tone I might get with the ISF on 3 o'clock in the cab.

kerrym

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks. From what you've said, and the more I read here on the board, it sounds like the v-30's aren't a good choice. Jet City has a 1x12 Eminence loaded cab I'm looking at. Seems this may be the way to go.

kerrym

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Update; I picked up a Peavey XXX 4x12 and it has really brought the HT-5 to life. Using the Zoom G2 currently as an od and it works well. I did pick up the Joyo Ultimate Drive. It's a decent boost and sounds good on the clean channel. Next up is the Amptweaker Tight Metal to run directly into the effects return. The tight rock looks pretty interesting as well.

LostInRockFormations

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Have tried a lot of pedals,
my impression atm is that overdrive pedals dont make much difference,
most of them are very similar to turning the volume or gain up on the amp.

I have surprised myself by playing with the cleans much more since I got my HT5RH,
I really like the clean sound with reverb, and its good to hear my guitars clearly.

I like reverb /delay more now, the reverb on the amp is great and I use it a lot.

Heavy distortion / fuzz pedals have been a bit disappointing, they dont make the amp sound better.
difficult to get the settings right, I used to just turn them up and bash on but now its easy to go too far.

Still experimenting, my impression is you dont need pedals with this amp, it sounds great without them.

Nice to have some toys to play with, and I guess for live you might want a boost for solos,
but unless you want OTT mashed up mayhem you dont need overdrives.

• Information