Replacing tubes on my HT20 head

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
RoelSmoel

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm looking for a clearer overdriven sound, and a brighter/bigger sounding clean sound, readed lots of things about JJ tubes, someone that can clear that up?
How do I have to install the tubes?

Thnx.

KKND

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:22 am

Hello there friend, lets address your needs, you should replace the pre amp tubes, the two (2) ECC83 (12AX7) by JJ ECC83, they are nice and punchy, cleared up the overdrive pretty much in my case. As for the clean channel, i have a stage 60 and i have an extra tube which is the ECC82 (12AU7) which in my case handles the clean channel, anyways i assume if you swap the pre amp tubes to JJ ECC83 you should hear a noticeable difference. Next you should target the EL34's, i swapped mine to JJ EL34L and they made a HUGE difference in all channels.

The pre amp tubes can be replaced like bulbs, wiggle the old ones as you pull down, wear a clean white sock, wiggle the new ones in while you push up.

The power tubes require re biasing, which isn't hard but needs some precautions and knowledge. I advice you to change the pre amp tubes first and see where does it take you.

All the best

• Information