Who's gigging with Blackstar?

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
tfs4473

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:21 am

Who is gigging with what BS amps? Recently, I was asked to join a band, and at rehersals I've been using a Club 50 head and a Mesa 2x12 cab I had already. I bought a Stage 60 to use at home and as my primary stage amp. It's more portable than the Mesa cab alone, and I can use the Club 50 as a backup if needed.

Are most forum menbers using the mid-powered 40-60 watt amps, or do you find that the smaller 20s or larger 100s suit your needs? One or two-speaker combos/cabs?

Thanks.

majikmojo

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 pm

been gigging with stage 60 with extra 2x12 cab for year and a half now - has proven to be road worthy and has never given me a single problem. i have been surprised truthfully of the build quality of an amp in this price range
especially a combo. this amp has been played hard, moved a lot, been rained on, and knocked over once and it sounds better than ever - i tried the 20 head but not quite enough headroom for me as i need good cleans at slightly high volumes, the 100 is way to much for my uses - i only wish there were 3 channels on the 50 head or i'd be using that instead of this heavy ass combo :lol:

Bigsmudger

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Been gigging with my S1-45 since they were released. I have had a few minor issues but they can nearly all be put down to valves, and during the last service / revalve, my tech discovered and put right some soldering issues in the power stage. It's still the best sound I've ever had. Plenty of volume and all the headroom I need.

I really don't see the need of a 200w head and it would be total overkill in the venues we play. I'd sooner have a smaller amp cranked than a big one on tickover, even with DPR. Sold my Marshall DSL 100 head for that reason and kept the DSL 50 but that was only used as backup for the Blackstar. Recently we got an HT Dual pedal to use as amp backup should one of our S1's go down at a gig. Way better than carrying a spare head around.

My 20 combo ain't loud enough unless I mic it through a PA, even with the V30 speaker swap. Of course, it still doesn't beat the sound of my S1 :twisted:

MikeD

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Gigging with my ht100.....way overkill but it sure looks nice......and since the 412´s are on wheels, and we lug our own gear, it´s not much more of a headache than a 60...probably weighs less. We gig at least once a month and the blackstars have been with both myself and my lead guitarist for over a year and a half with no issues......changed tubes last week but the old ones were still going strong!!

...wish i could say the same for the beanie....

pacAir

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:49 am

I have been gigging with my HT-40 (sometimes stacked with an HTV-112 cab) on and off for a few years. About two months ago, I joined a Classic Rock band as the rhythm guitar player (lots of leads and fills too) and I played our first 2 gigs with my Bogner Alchemist 212. It did OK but I wasn't convinced it was the best amp for this job.

Since then, I took my HT-40 (without the extra cab) and did NOT put in the backline. The gig was at a larger venue with its own PA system and sound guy. Since he mics everything, I placed the HT-40 on the floor at my 2 o'clock position tilted up at a 45°angle (using a Musician's Friend low-profile "Musicians Gear" amp stand that rests on the ground). This put the amp right where I could adjust it and it was pointing up at ME so I could hear myself. Everyone else heard me through the PA.

It was great! I could turn the amp up enough to get controlled feedback and hear myself over the drummer yet no one complained about the level. I could also hear myself in the mains. With a backline on a raised stage, your speakers are at or near the ear-level of the audience and can easily be too loud for them while you are struggling to hear yourself on stage. Using my own amp as a personal monitor and letting the sound guy mix the band worked really well. I was able to find a sweet spot and stay there all evening! There were no complaints and the band never sounded better.

The HT-40 did an awesome job (using a Strat and a heavily modified Ibanez Artist AR-200) and sounded fantastic! I got nothing but compliments all the way around including from the other band members!

My HT-40 has a Hellatone 16L speaker in it (pre-aged and broken in version of the Celestion Vintage 30 family sold by Avatar Speakers) instead of the original speaker because the original was just too stiff and lacked low end punch. The Hellatone 16L smoothed out the tone and made a huge improvement (to my ear). I also re-biased the stock output tubes and installed new preamp tubes (because the originals were damaged). The first tube is a NOS military Philips 5751 (US Made) and the second (gain channel) preamp tube was an Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH I had available at the time.

It sounds much more punchy and dynamic with the new speaker, but since it arrived damaged I cannot compare the tube changes to anything.

Steve

TTMike

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Using and really liking the HT Stage 100 Head and a 2x12 cab with a Swamp Thing (really like) and Celestion 75 (not so much). Five gigs so far and everyone in the band likes the sound. We play 80-100 gigs a year and I'm hoping it holds up. I'm changing the pre tubes very soon as per so many posts by others. The 100 is overkill for me, I wish they made a 3 channel 60 watt head that would be slightly slimmer and lighter. I didn't opt for the HT 60 combo because of the weight, and for lack of flexibility. I currently bring two heads to gigs, and use the 2x12 cab so I can deal with a breakdown in almost any situation. I use a Line6 M13 (4 cable method) and ordered a GLabs ground Controller so I can hit one switch and change pedal and amp channels at the same time.

cadblaster

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:29 pm

TTMike wrote: I use a Line6 M13 (4 cable method) and ordered a GLabs ground Controller so I can hit one switch and change pedal and amp channels at the same time.
Let us know what you think of the GLab when you get it set up. That's a midi controller I haven't tried yet or know much about. Mostly been using a rack TC GMajor 2 for fx and a Rocktron Raider for a Midi controller with the HT stage 60.

JohnBNY

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:34 am

I've been gigging with an HT100 for about a year now. It has held up nicely, and cuts through nicely over the drums, bass, other guitar. I use either a Blackstar 4x12 or 2x12, depending on the size of the venue. By the way, I originally liked the Celestion Seventy 80s that come in these cabs, but found that they were too piercing on the highs when in clean mode. I replaced all six speakers with the Celestion K-100s, and they took the tone to another level. I highly recommend it.

stratocastor

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:52 pm

I gig with my HT100 and Genz Benz G-Flex ported 2x12. This is my preferred rig unless an acceptable backline is provided.

SainTrioMike

Thu May 15, 2014 9:32 am

I did my first gig tonight with an HT20 combo. Plenty loud. I ran the individual volumes almost all the way up and I only got the master up a little bit. Unlike my other tube amps, it keeps getting louder when you turn it up. On my heavily modded Handsome Devil the volume maxes out at about 7 and just gets more compressed. Same with my Prosonic and Delta Blues. I can't imagine needing a louder amp. We play a wide variety. Country, ZZ Top, Zep, AC/DC, Robin Thicke, Pharrel, Prince, Dead Eye Dick, Black Keys, CCR, Beatles. All over the map. This amp handled it using only one pedal. (Boss Harmonist for "Lonely Boy") I might add a overdrive pedal to use with the clean channel.

And it's lighter than the Handsome Devil, way lighter than the Delta Blues and way, way lighter than the Prosonic. Looks pretty slick too. If it lasts as long as my other amps, it'll be the best amp I've ever owned.

• Information