what ht20 stock tubes are?

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
IM4Tone

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:30 pm

vbshredder wrote:^^^ that's pretty much an insult, but it's all good, we are just talking about amps here

peace.
Certainly not meant to insult. I apologize if it came across as such. Just meant to express my opinion backed up by my experience. Your use of the words "definitely", "huge difference", and phrase "sounds like a different amp" is pretty strong language, disallowing for contrasting opinions. Again JMO and no insult intended.

And BTW, "In Your Head" is my paraphrasing of B*'s metaphor.

vbshredder

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:08 pm

IM4Tone wrote:
vbshredder wrote:^^^ that's pretty much an insult, but it's all good, we are just talking about amps here

peace.
Certainly not meant to insult. I apologize if it came across as such. Just meant to express my opinion backed up by my experience. Your use of the words "definitely", "huge difference", and phrase "sounds like a different amp" is pretty strong language, disallowing for contrasting opinions. Again JMO and no insult intended.

And BTW, "In Your Head" is my paraphrasing of B*'s metaphor.
Cool, explanation appreciated. The reason i say "that's an insult" is because by saying "It's in your head" you're suggesting i have no clue between hearing something that sounds the same or similar vs something that sounds completely different, which is what happened on my OD channel when i swapped out the sovtek for a Groove tube - there was no maybe about it, my mother could have AB'd it. Agreed, there's plenty of "in your head" comparisons out there as you suggest based on price, reputation, plain old bashing, etc, but i'm just reporting the difference a single tube (the only preamp tube, per channel) made in my amp. It went from "metal machine" to "classic rock beast"..granted the gain was still there, just totally different tone. I've read that alot of the different branded tubes are made in the same few factories, but for whatever reason, this change was drastic, and if someone is interested in changing the amps tone, it is worth trying out.

Sonofarich

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:32 am

I would have to agree that (in my experience) the tube changes I did on my HT20 combo made a noticeable difference in tone. The combination of a Mullard 12AX7 in the clean preamp, an EH 12AY7 in the OD preamp and Winged Cs in the power section, made the amp considerably warmer/fuller sounding and more clear/articulate with tighter overdrive and a better OD onset/useable range. Of course, the tube swap didn't change the amp into a handwired Dumble, but I would argue that it made no/virtually no difference. I would also agree that the speaker swap (after break-in period) made a bigger difference.

I guess that's the fun in tinkering...

IM4Tone

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:21 am

Sonofarich wrote:I would have to agree that (in my experience) the tube changes I did on my HT20 combo made a noticeable difference in tone. The combination of a Mullard 12AX7 in the clean preamp, an EH 12AY7 in the OD preamp and Winged Cs in the power section, made the amp considerably warmer/fuller sounding and more clear/articulate with tighter overdrive and a better OD onset/useable range. Of course, the tube swap didn't change the amp into a handwired Dumble, but I would argue that it made no/virtually no difference. I would also agree that the speaker swap (after break-in period) made a bigger difference.

I guess that's the fun in tinkering...
Changes in tube type is a different matter than tube brand of the same type. I will still contend that changes in brand (of the same type) makes minimal difference.

And yes, I too suffer from tinkeritis....it's incureable :cry:

toneseeker

Tue May 01, 2012 9:51 am

JJel34 power tubes and jj12ax7 preamp is what i run and has the best tone and reliability of all tubes i've tried in this amp, do yourself a favour ....try them.

majikmojo

Tue May 01, 2012 12:35 pm

^^^ same for me...

• Information