Upgraded my HT20 Speaker

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
majikmojo

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:13 pm

i would think a 100db would add a little something...

Bigsmudger

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 am

Well the 16 ohm V30 came yesterday, installed it and took it to studio rehearsal last night.
The difference is unbelieveable - in both tone and volume. It got louder as the night went on and it started to settle in.
2 hours of playing with the amp on 7 should have started the break in period nicely :twisted:

The only down side is that V30 seems to have added 10lbs to the weight of the amp. :roll:

Now to revalve the S1 - tech wants £130 inc labour but there's some serious valves going in.
3 x JJ ECC83, 1 x Jan Phillips ECC82 and 2 x Winged C EL34. Should be a step up :D

rich56

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Hey Bigsmudger, is the Jan Philips ecc82 this one ?

http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1555

If so can you give a tone report when it's done as I'm thinking of this valve + 2x JJ ecc83 for the pre's in my HT100.

Thanks

Bigsmudger

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Rich

Not too sure - this was just a brief 5 min chat with a local tech over the phone.
He did say it was a NOS military grade valve and in the S1 the 82 is used for the inverter.
Apparently this guy carries these as stock for his amp revalve work
I'll be happy to report back when the job's done but it may be a month or so. Times is 'ard Image

wetherby

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:54 pm

I have the H20 combo and remember Bigsmudger advising before I bought it that the volume levelled off at about 2.00 o'clock, and yes it does. Does the speaker swap make a difference in that respect? I can use my S1-45 for louder gigs but really like the H20 (ease of use, sound and weight) but it could do with just a little bit more at gigs to cut through (though boo hoo, gigs have dried up recently). Also does replacing with a higher output speaker change the characteristics at lower - practice levels? I would rather not buy a cab purely to keep kit down to a minimum - my age says no more cabs!

Bigsmudger

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm

I've only used the 20 once at volume since the speaker swap. We've been gigging nearly every weekend
since New Year and not had much time for studio rehearsal.

Yes - the volume levels out at the same place on the dial but it does seem louder.
I just don't quite have the headroom for lead stuff to break through with a twin guitar and keys band and a noisy drummer!!

We have just started miking the guitars through the PA with stunning results so I'll have a go at gigging the 20 soon at a smaller venue
and report back. Both of us are now using miked S1 combos for gigs - the guitar sound is devastating :twisted:

• Information