Popped Tubes means damaged pc board

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
daveandjo88

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:05 pm

Hi all,

Popped a tube last gig on my S1 EL34 100w, blew the mains fuse and HT fuse, tech guy told me he might have to replace the pc board due to flashing, says this happens alot with Blackstar. Is this correct?

I replaced all the tubes and fuses at the gig just to get through the last few songs, amp popped and farted during warm up but stopped making funny noises when I started playing. So now it pops and farts a bit on warm up unless you slap the head with your hand or cause any other vibration such as playing at volume.

Dont want to get (EU) political here but is it the solder not having lead in it that has helped cause this issue (A Techy will understand this question).

thephantum

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:55 pm

When a tube catastrophically fails, the subsequent current surge can take out other components within the amps circuit. That has nothing to do with the PCB being "flashed" or a lack of lead in modern solder.

The fact that the amp made noise after you swapped out the tubes tells me that's exactly what happened...the tube fried something in the amp when it dies (pops and crackles are caused by electricity finding a path to ground through the audio circuit).

Yea, you could replace the entire PCB to fix the problem, but that's like buying a brand new engine for you car because the alternator blew...it will fix the problem but it's a bit extreme. :mrgreen:

daveandjo88

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:34 pm

OK thanks dude ;)

• Information