Problem connecting a series one 100 6l6 to a series one 2x12 cabinet

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
ab2021

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Hello there, I just received my series one 100 6l6 and a series one 2x12 cab today and I think I have broke it already. This is actually my first tube amp and I am a complete noob. First of all I set the impedance switch on the back of the head to 16ohms then connected the head to the cabinet using one lead going into the left side connection which is 16ohms too. I turned the amp on for about 20 seconds and the tubes inside started to glow and making a noise like they were heating up. Then all of a sudden, the power light turned off and the amp shut down. Now It wont even turn on no matter what I do. I probably connected it up wrong and blew a fuse? If anyone knows what I should do now or has experienced a problem like this before, please tell me what I should do next.

ab2021

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:44 pm

I just checked and it appears I have blown the mains fuse. Does anyone know where I can get another one? and also how I can stop this from happening again. Thanks

Distortion Dave

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:33 pm

Did you even take the amp out of standby mode before it blew? Normally you would let the valves warm up before removing from standby. Not sure if that's a reason it would blow a fuse though. Most 2x12 cabs are 8ohms i think, its just a case of matching your amp to what your cab requires.

Distortion Dave

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Also look on the fuse at what its rated and do a search around online for replacement

leatherskin

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:02 pm

I have the same set up. If you connect both of the cables to the speakers you set the amp to 16 ohms. You can get fuses at radio shack although I would be concerned why your fuse blew. I jammed with a couple of people at my house and 2 guys blew there fuses when they plugged in their amps. That particular outlet had a dimmer and after they plugged it it and I flipped the dimmer switch it must have caused a power surge.

rich56

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:05 pm

"If you're running one 2x12 , use the 8 ohm out from the amp & run the lead into the 1x8 ohm input on the cab". That's what Blackstar customer service told me when I asked , although I'm running an HT100 into an Artisan 2x12 I dont see why it should be different for the S1. If in doubt send customer services an email through the UK site.

IM4Tone

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:00 pm

If you are ever in doubt as to what the impedance of your cabinet (and it's various jacks) is, there's an easy way to determine it if you have a common multi-meter. Check the DC resistance of the circuit by putting a speaker cable in the jack and checking with your probes on the other end between tip and barrel. The DC resistance of a speaker will be on the order of 2/3 to 75% of the impedance. That's close enough since it is really a multiple choice question for speaker impedance: 4, 8, or 16 ohms. If your DC resistance reading is somewhere around 10.5 to 12 ohms, the speaker(s) has 16 ohms impedance, if it's in the 5 to 6 ohm range, the impedance is 8 ohms, and finally if it is 2.5 to 3 it's a 4 ohm impedance.

Really simple...no rocket science here Image

A momentary mis-matching of the speaker's impedance to that of the amp's output transformer should not cause a fuse to blow nor any other damage...the key is momentary or brief. Some will even tell you that operating with a 2/1 mis-match will not harm the amp...but I won't make that statement.

• Information