Tell me about Blackstar amps

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Qurarian

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:00 am

I just found I can actually buy Blackstar amps and I a couple of tube combos "HT Club 40" and "HT Soloist 60" caught my attention, however since the brand is kind of new here nobody I know has used them but any of these could be my very first tube amp, last year learned more about amp tone and I liked this kind of brithis tone but also the clean channel seems to be fine. I have liked the demos so far but I would like to have comments from you: Are reliable or get defects often? Is it a good value/tone for the money? Do you even like them? They claim they have celestion speakers but no specific model.
Thanks,
Last edited by Qurarian on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wild_Rose

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Go to the nearest dealer and try one out. I think they're great and not super expensive!

longi
Location: At the foot of the South Downs National Park in Blighty

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:51 am

I've never had a problem with my HT-5 or ID15 OR 60 TVPs. They're customer service in the UK is excellent, however Korg in the U.S. have a terrible reputation for repair and warranty issues.

Personally I think the TVP's sound far better than The HT's. Although the HT-20 sounds far nicer that the HT-5.

fender62

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:59 pm

i don't have a tube blackstar, but an id core 150, i have many brands of amps over 40yrs of playing guitar, and im very happy with blackstar
digital amps have come a long way tech wise and sound wise, blackstar have the insider software that i like, could use a tweak or two
but it's brilliant, there are things you can do now, that i only dreamed of once, example i do not need external pedals anymore
my id core has more than enough effects, although i do miss a wah pedal a little bit, but how much would it get used anyway.
i could add one if i wanted, but at the moment, im not really bothered, i have an fs-12 footswitch linked to the footswitch that
comes with the amp, it makes for great change overs during gigs easy peasy, i can program it to my hearts content, id say
go for it.. try a few out, not just the tube versions.

dtjesus

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:11 pm

These are pretty much digital amps with a few tubes thrown in. Miy HT-20 died after working for a few months with the digital circuit failing and I have not found anyone to repair it since then. If you want to throw your money at an expensive future paper weight, then go for it.

Sonofarich

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:15 pm

dtjesus wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:11 pm
These are pretty much digital amps with a few tubes thrown in. Miy HT-20 died after working for a few months with the digital circuit failing and I have not found anyone to repair it since then. If you want to throw your money at an expensive future paper weight, then go for it.
Blackstar/Korg has service centers worldwide.

dtjesus

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:57 pm

[/quote]

With World wide, I am guessing you mean Chicago which is around 5 hrs flight from where I am in Canada and costs a few hundred bucks to ship there.

fender62

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:56 pm

have you tried these guys in canada https://cosmomusic.ca/brands/blackstar

Sonofarich

Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:51 pm

dtjesus wrote:

With World wide, I am guessing you mean Chicago which is around 5 hrs flight from where I am in Canada and costs a few hundred bucks to ship there.
Try this...https://www.korgusa.com/BlackstarDealers and select the Service tab, then enter HT-20 in the 'Select a Product' field and Canada in the 'Zip or City and State'.

I count 20 locations in Canada from the results.

Good luck.

dtjesus

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Canada is a country the size of a continent. Even though it will show 20 locations, there is only one location in my city.

Nevertheless, I took it to that location in my city. They took 4 weeks to diagnose and told me a whole long list of mumbo jumbo stuff that was apparently wrong with the amp along with a hefty quote, almost the same price as the amp itself. I asked them not to carry out the work and return the amp, since I could buy a new amp for what they were quoting. They charged me $50 bucks to return the amp, adding that they guarantee no one else will touch a Blackstar amp in town except them. I took the amp to another tech to get a second quote, and lo and behold, he returned the amp the next day saying he can't work on it. When i inquired, it turns out he had called that Blackstar tech already lol.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after all this nightmare, I opened the amp up myself and fixed it for free :lol:

Sonofarich wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:51 pm
dtjesus wrote:

Try this...https://www.korgusa.com/BlackstarDealers and select the Service tab, then enter HT-20 in the 'Select a Product' field and Canada in the 'Zip or City and State'.

I count 20 locations in Canada from the results.

Good luck.

• Information