Main difference between HT5 head and HT5R Head

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
nesveiks

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:18 am

Hello,
I tried to search for this topic in forum, could not find it, maybe someone knows and can post here a link about it.

The question is: What is the MAIN difference between HT5 head and HT5R Head? I am not expert about tubes and other electronic things. But someone told me that OD channel on HT5R is made different than HT5. Can someone comment on that and other things that are different?

I have myself a HT5 combo, but i want to buy a head and cabinet. And thinking to buy HT5r + Orange PPC112 cabinet. Mainly playing metal/nu metal and trash. But I love the tones that HT5 gives, but i think there are a problem with speaker and it's also a closed back combo.

Thank You for answers! Sorry if I copy someones topic already and thanks for copying info it read about!

thephantum

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:09 pm

The biggest difference is reverb...the HT5-RH has it, the HT5-H does not. Some of the circuitry is different, but it was more a streamlining (to make room for and add the revrb circuit) as opposed to a complete re-design. Aside from changing brands, the tube types (12AX7 & 12BH7) are the same, so the core tone has not changed.

The main problem with the combo is the speaker. The Blackbird it comes with has a raspy sound to it in the upper mids. If you swap it for another speaker, you might not need to buy the head/cab.

From my own experience: I mainly run my HT5-RH with the HT-408 cab. I swapped the Blackbirds out for Eminence 820H's and then modified the back panel of the cab to make it partially open. Huge difference. Everyone that hears it thinks it the best sounding 12" cab they've ever heard and they do not believe me when I tell them it's not a 12" speaker. I have to make them look in the back to prove it's four 8" speakers.

nesveiks

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Thank You for answer. And what about OD channel.
Is there any difference in that? What You think about HT5-metal? I mainly play metal, maybe this is better to buy for me? What is your full opinion about it? Thanks again!

thephantum

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:03 pm

I don't believe there is a difference between the OD channels of the two versions. The main difference is the addition of reverb.

I will say that the OD on the HT5-R is perfectly capable of doing metal tones. I haven't heard the OD on the HT5 Metal, but it's advertised as having even more gain than the HT5-R. So if you are playing mostly metal, that might be a better option for you.

nesveiks

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:04 am

Is there any pedals that someone can suggest for boosting od chanel? From videos youtube i mainly see badmonkey, tubescreamer. Maybe someone has his oppinion on that?
What You think about boost pedals also?

Michelle

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:03 am

I don't know if this is true as it's simply something I heard, but I was told that on the HT5 the ISF could even be used on the clean channel whereas on the HT5R it is only available to the overdrive channel. Can anyone confirm this ?

• Information