S1-6l6 Noise

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
SVL88

Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:37 pm

Hi all, just a quick question.

I have my S1-6L6 for 3 years now and I have always played through with a Boss gt8 with the 4-cable method, with the GT-8's preamp bypassed.

Recently I came to my senses and decideded to get the gt8 out of my setup and start using analog pedals.

Now it occurs to me that, when I don't play guitar, I have a lot of noise coming from the OD2 channel.

My settings are as follows: guitar in Maxon OD808, through a Boss NS-2, with the channel volume at 12 o'clock, gain at 10 o'clock, bass at 10 o'clock, mid at 2-3 o'clock and treble at 12 o'clock. ISF is set to the max, DPR at 100watts.

My question really is:

Is this a normal amp behaviour that there is a lot of hiss on a high gain channel when I don't play?

Can I solve this with a noise gate in the FX loop without affecting my tone too much?

Thanks a lot in advance

Enlive

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Maybe try getting a Furman power conditioning power strip to help control it. I have the same amp and although i don't regularly use the OD2 channel, I feel it is more of a lead exclusive voiced channel, I haven't experienced excessive noise. Also yes running an additional noise gate in the loop with make it dead silent. I use 4cable method and midi control via line 6 pod hd500 and set up gates in both the front and loop.

SVL88

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Problem solved, I have bought a noise gate and a power conditioner. All clear.

This topic may be closed.

• Information