Series One,Ht100 or what?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Zado

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:35 am

Ok guys that's the fact:at the moment i'm looking for a tube amp with such characteristics:

i'm a metal player,so i need a saturated sound,better if full of mids just like a peavey 5150 to be clearer...i'm also a 70-80 hard rock and classic rock lover,and I really want an amp to replicate the awesome vintage jcm800-plexi sounds tipical of those years.

More precisely,the sounds i'm loooking for are something from dire straits to van halen,whitesnake,skid row,boston,cream,deeppurple,rainbow 'til inflames and so one.

Really hard tastes isn't it?yeah,i do know...the best amps out there to play such names,imho were Splawn Quickrod (maybe too tight and not enought saturated),BRBS CSL,Masotti x100m,Bogner XTC and so one,but i really don't have enought money to spend at the moment..so I was thinking about a ht100 head,which sounded just fine for me (well,for metal tones i'd need a booster,but that's ok)...but recently I discovered that a shop,unfortunately far from my hometown, is selling a Series One 100 for 800€,kinda a nice price! Listening to youtube clips,the head sounded to me very sterile,flat,harsh,empty but that's a "peculiarity" of youtube vids i guess,so...would series one fit my needs or HT100 can be considered a better choice for me?

Some "classic" sounds i'd like to obtain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGSrv1GnXMM (supreme sound,i need that)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qHWJML0Skg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LeYWLmOvMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY (ahaha ok this is gonna be really hard but who knows :) )

Any suggestions?

Vorphallack

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:50 am

Ok here's the deal,I've been doing some research for at least two months going to Different Guitar Centers in California also some other local Music Houses,websites and Google Reviews, and i just wanna save you some time so you don't get frustrated when looking for a Great Price and a Great amp,that is what everybody now a days is looking for but maybe it's just me...well if you wanna replicate those sounds i really recommend you to get the HT 100 Blackstar Stage Series and also a Pedal Effects like a Digitech or a Cheap used POD and plug it in through the effects loop and will sound beautyful....don't spend your money buying a used Series One with no warranty,believe me HT100 sounds better than series One and is cheaper buy it brand new and get extended warranty if you can,you never know what can happen through the years...do what i did and you will get all those tones you are looking for....i already reaserch for you.....ROCK ON !!! AND DON'T FORGET TO CRANK IT UP !!!

KKND

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:12 am

Get the HT-100 and invest in better tubes and proper bias adjustment....OD1 is your JCM 800 with boost..OD2 is your HI GAIN.

New amp with warranty any given day....rock on Image

Zado

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Vorphallack wrote:Ok here's the deal,I've been doing some research for at least two months going to Different Guitar Centers in California also some other local Music Houses,websites and Google Reviews, and i just wanna save you some time so you don't get frustrated when looking for a Great Price and a Great amp,that is what everybody now a days is looking for but maybe it's just me...well if you wanna replicate those sounds i really recommend you to get the HT 100 Blackstar Stage Series and also a Pedal Effects like a Digitech or a Cheap used POD and plug it in through the effects loop and will sound beautyful....don't spend your money buying a used Series One with no warranty,believe me HT100 sounds better than series One and is cheaper buy it brand new and get extended warranty if you can,you never know what can happen through the years...do what i did and you will get all those tones you are looking for....i already reaserch for you.....ROCK ON !!! AND DON'T FORGET TO CRANK IT UP !!!
AHahah ok man,you did persuade me! :D found two days ago a ht60 dealer so i guess i can give more than a chance to the HT series not to buy the amp totally blind :)

jonS1200guy

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:53 am

go big. while the ht100 might hit some of those marks for you....you owe it to yourself to try at least the 4 channel 100 watt series 1 amps.

never be the guy that settles for an amp, without doing his homework. i've tried them both, and while it sucked to fork out more cash for my series one...i'd let you punch me in the nuts if i settled on the ht100...considering i tried both.

just my two cents.

majikmojo

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:17 am

zado - you have told us what you tones you want but you havent told us anything about what your going to do with this rig??

are you playing in your basement alone? - in a band?? - playing out live in clubs,halls,stadiums???
what do your bandmates use?? - are your levels typically loud?? - do you need clean headroom??

frankly - i dont have enough information to make a recommendation based on what you have given us
remember the sounds your after are obtained with thousands of dollars of high end and sometimes customer gear

a series 1 with a stack will sound different than a ht100 - they are both great amps and will supply great tones
right out of the box but if you want a plexi sound - get a marshall - if you want a 5150 get that

blackstars weren't made to sound like every other amp out there - they have their own sound

either one of those amps can acheive those tones with the right instrument,technique,and effects but we dont even know
what kind of instrument your using - so i cant give much of an opinion without more details
;)

Zado

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:47 am

both,by my own and with the band...at the moment i'm after trying the 104 el34,that seems just an awesome amp,but til i try there are no chances to have a fair opinion.I listened to chappers review and was amazing.Then to GW review,and sounded like a very very very poor amp ...but since all gw review are horrific in therms of sound...

dunno,i hope to see one of the new S-1 near mmy hometown soon..

majikmojo

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:35 pm

well thats the best way - try them yourself and see what you think
i would say if you are playing for a living i would lean toward the series 1

• Information