New ID Core 10 won't power on after firmware update?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
AJ19

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:05 pm

I have been enjoying my ID Core 10 and the Insider software for a couple of weeks with no problems. Last night while exploring the Insider software (to give my sore fingers a rest after a couple hours of playing with no problems) I decided to click on the update firmware button. It started updating the firmware and after it finished it said the update was successful and that if the voice lights were still flashing to restart the amp. There were no lights flashing - there were no lights at all. So I turned the power switch off and on again - still nothing. The blue light is on the power brick and I've checked the connection to the amp but nothing happens when I turn it on. I tried the factory reset procedure but nothing happens. My computer no longer sees the USB connection either so I can't check what version of firmware it updated to. Everything worked perfectly minutes before the update, so I pretty sure that was what caused the problem. Can anyone help? 

DanyAFS

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Your amp is dead. Unfortunately it's very common for that to happen when updating the firmware...

Go back to the store where you've bought and ask for a replacement. Make them update the amp for you if necessary.

This is only as far as I know, from what I've seen, there's no fix for this problem except getting a new amp.

lurkalot

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:31 pm

DanyAFS wrote:
Unfortunately it's very common for that to happen when updating the firmware...
Thing is, it shouldn't be common, should it. Blackstar need to address this problem. Software that prompts you to update when you plug in to it shouldn't destroy your amp. What If your amp is out of warranty for example? Will the store you purchased it from be interested, I don't think so.

We shouldn't have to worry every time a update is released tbh. Touch wood, so far I've been lucky with the updates for my ID: Core 40. But reading lately the 10 seems to be having more problems than ever with this last update.

DanyAFS

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:19 pm

lurkalot wrote:
DanyAFS wrote:
Unfortunately it's very common for that to happen when updating the firmware...
Thing is, it shouldn't be common, should it. Blackstar need to address this problem. Software that prompts you to update when you plug in to it shouldn't destroy your amp. What If your amp is out of warranty for example? Will the store you purchased it from be interested, I don't think so.

We shouldn't have to worry every time a update is released tbh. Touch wood, so far I've been lucky with the updates for my ID: Core 40. But reading lately the 10 seems to be having more problems than ever with this last update.
You're totally right. This problem has been going on since forever and BS does nothing about it.

I've been lucky as well. I have an ID Core 10 and never had problems with updating so far. But I'm really afraid of updating each time a patch comes up.

AJ19

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:10 am

Thanks everyone,

The amp is only a month old and still under warranty so just a hassle to get it replaced. I'll let you know if they come up with any other solution.

Cheers

lurkalot

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:08 pm

AJ19 wrote:Thanks everyone,

The amp is only a month old and still under warranty so just a hassle to get it replaced. I'll let you know if they come up with any other solution.

Cheers
Sorry I wasn't much help, but I guess taking it back where you purchased it from is your best bet in this case as it's still in warranty.

I would really like to know what BS are going to do for customers who have had their amps murdered by one of their updates and it's out of warranty though. If a firmware update is likely to kill your amp then it should be a separate download (With a warning) where you're not prompted to install it when you plug your amp into the computer. Firmware should be completely separate from insider imo. Perhaps the firmware updates should also have the option of installing from a USB memory stick instead of updating via a USB cable, as its so fussy about what USB ports on you pc it uses.

BeppuxRome

Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:04 pm

NO MORE BLACKSTAR!! Even I have said the same things from Blackstar customer service. Of course being out of warranty do I have to pay any repair, resulting in loss of time and money? ... All this for an "official" software defect issued by Blackstar? Impractical, absurd and unbelievable. We realize that this claim for their mistake we must overcome us to the problem? my ID-CORE 40 amps, is out of warranty, always worked well and I have to throw it because I decided to update it? I work every day like IT, know well the various practices update and downgrade and I upgraded my amplifier with a macbook pro (2015), certificate usb cable attached to one of the USB ports powered not by the battery. recognized amplifier immediately, ok firmware update, restart…and after death ... tell me where I went wrong. Now I have a dead amplifier, should I buy some another (never Blackstar), and if I wanted to fix it I have to do it at my money for a problem that caused me directly the official firmware update Blackstar ... it seems normal? I will do everything to discourage the purchase to any person I know (and in Rome we have a lots of musicians), why do not you take around so people. We are all customers and we have spent money, those few...those many... but if you exist only thanks to us. NO MORE BLACKSTAR

jimmnava760

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:56 pm

I had that happen on my id core 10 about 3 years ago - for my amp it turned out to be a bad cable from the power adapter to the wall. I replaced it and its worked fine ever since. Good luck!

• Information