amp is making popping noise

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
ray101!

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:49 pm

I've had my amp ten months now and it started making a popping noise today while I was playing. When I ordered the amp the first one they sent me done that straight out of the box, I sent it back and got a new one, now ten months later it's doing it. Has anyone experienced this, could it be a tube and if so should it be a tube so soon cause I only play about once a week? Please help.

ray101!

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:53 pm

It's a ht club 40 by the way

Sonofarich

Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:01 am

Sounds like a tube , but could be number of things. You can try isolating by swapping preamp tubes, but it's more apt to be a power. If it's still under warranty, take it to an authorized repair facility. BTW, tubes would not still be covered...and there is no definitive correlation to time, when a tube goes.

thephantum

Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Echoing the above, popping usually means that something is arcing. In other words, it's an intermittent short circuit where electricity is finding a path to ground that it should not have. Most of the time, that's caused by a failing tube.

How long you've had the amp, how hard the amp has been played can both contribute to how long tubes last...but not always. I have tube sets that lasted me years. Specifically, I have a quad of Winged C's that were in a Marshall for well over 3 years and gigged hard. The only reason I replaced them was because of their age and how hard I used them....but they still test as if they're new, so I keep them as emergency spares. The flip side is that I've had other sets that have died in a matter of months...some with only light use.

Here's the biggest thing: Do not continue to power the amp on. Every time you do, you are running the risk of the tube catastrophically failing. If that happens, there's a good chance it's going to take out other components of the amp (most likely grid resistors). Just get it to a repair center.

ray101!

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Thank, thephantom, I've Only had the amp ten months and only play it about three times a week about an hour every time I play. I don't push it hard either. I'll get it to the repair shop as soon as possible and not play through it till then

• Information