Blackstar Series One Master Volume Question

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
illini

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:05 pm

I picked up a used Series One 50 watt head, and everything seems to sound right except the Master Volume. It doesn't really do anything except turn the amp off. Once you turn it to about 8 o'clock it is at full volume the rest of the way up the dial. So as I stated basically useless. Am I assuming correctly that this is not how the amp is designed? I have never played this amp before getting it on line. Sounds very good by the way.

While I am at it, the ISF doesn't do a heck of a lot to shape the tone either. But I believe I have heard that it doesn't do as much on the Series One as the HT series. Is this also correct? Thanks in advance.

thephantum

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:03 pm

Sounds like something is wrong with the Master Volume, possibly a bad volume pot.

The ISF is a subtle control. It changes which midrange frequencies are more prominent, specifically between lower mids or upper mids.

illini

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:49 am

The debate inside my head is whether or not to send it back to the Guitar Center or just have it repaired. There aren't exactly a lot of the 50 watt Series One Heads being sold used. And I do really like the way this amp sounds. Problem is I don't exactly know how much it is going to cost me to have it fixed or where to have it fixed yet. I will have to do some research in the St. Louis area.

Regarding the ISF. The change in tone is very subtle, but I wonder if this could also be effected by my choice in pre amp tubes. It seemed to do more before I changed them out.

JohnBNY

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:29 am

Sounds like something isn't right. The master volume on my S1 200 works perfectly fine, and I do notice the tonal change with the ISF knob.

I would definitely send it back. I had to replace a part on my amp and had to go through a Korg USA authorized repair shop. The part I needed had to get ordered from England, and my amp was in the shop for nearly a year waiting for the part. (Long story short, my amp was made for use in the UK, so I needed to swap out the transformer to work with 120 volts.) It's not worth the hassle on a new amp. Send it back.

illini

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:07 pm

JohnBNY wrote:Sounds like something isn't right. The master volume on my S1 200 works perfectly fine, and I do notice the tonal change with the ISF knob.

I would definitely send it back. I had to replace a part on my amp and had to go through a Korg USA authorized repair shop. The part I needed had to get ordered from England, and my amp was in the shop for nearly a year waiting for the part. (Long story short, my amp was made for use in the UK, so I needed to swap out the transformer to work with 120 volts.) It's not worth the hassle on a new amp. Send it back.
Thanks for the reply. It is difficult to find people who own one of these to talk with. I didn't buy this amp new, but rather bought it used from a Guitar Center on line. So I can return it, but then I will be back on the hunt for another used one. It is a shame that it seems to be such a pain to have these amps repaired right now. Maybe that will get easier as time goes by. I am loving the sound of it.

JohnBNY

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:49 pm

Even if it's used, you shouldn't have to deal with having to fix it right off the bat. I don't know how much you paid for it, but these are not particularly rare amps, so finding another one shouldn't be too hard. Here is one, for example, that is new, and they are asking for $875.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACKSTAR-Serie ... 2805a22a6c

illini

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:49 pm

That one has been on eBay for quite awhile and is listed as an online return. Apparently looking at the description it didn't handle being shipped very well. Doesn't seem to be in bad condition, but a few screws and a knob are missing and some slight cosmetic wear. I thought about bidding on it, but did find one cheaper. However, I have only found 3 of the 50 watters used in the entire U.S. So if they are relatively easy to find please send them my way I would be interested. I am going to send this one back. I love the amp and hope I can find one that works from day one.

JohnBNY

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:06 pm

So maybe they are not as common as I had thought, but I still think you made the right decision in returning it. Blackstar doesn't hand out their schematics to people who are not authorized, so repairing them isn't as easy as some other amps. I will keep my eyes open for used S1 50s and will post them here. Good luck!

illini

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Thank you. I did see that there is a used one list in a Guitar Center in Florida now.

illini

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:39 am

So I did return the 50 watter. But because I now have the Blackstar itch I pulled the plug on a Series One 100. Felt good about the price, and since you can run these amps down to 10 watts anyway I am now worried about it being to much of a beast for my needs. Amp should arrive on Tuesday.

• Information