Multicable channel switcher adapter

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
kazzee

Tue May 26, 2015 11:08 am

Hi!

I was wondering what would be the easiest way to go from a regular 1/4" channel switch signal to the type of multicable that is in the HT100 and S1 amps for instance?

The situation is that I have a routing pedal that can send channel switch command via normal jack output and I would like to upgrade to an amp that has the milticable footswitch input. Is there anything on the market och do you have to wire something yourself to make that work?

Cheers!

thephantum

Tue May 26, 2015 3:41 pm

Both the HT100 and S1 use a DB9 connector for the footswitch. As far as I know, you would have to rewire your pedal (or build a custom cable/converter) in order to use it via that DB9 connector. I believe cadblaster has the pinout for the connector.

cadblaster

Wed May 27, 2015 3:16 am

We can probably help you out, but need a little more detail of what your trying to do.
Which amp (exact model) ? Make/model of routing pedal???, How many, and which functions you want to control ? If your talking about the Series 1 amps than it can be pretty simple to do things thru the midi route, but the HT can be a little more involved......
:mrgreen:

kazzee

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:30 pm

cadblaster wrote:We can probably help you out, but need a little more detail of what your trying to do.
Which amp (exact model) ? Make/model of routing pedal???, How many, and which functions you want to control ? If your talking about the Series 1 amps than it can be pretty simple to do things thru the midi route, but the HT can be a little more involved......
:mrgreen:
Hi!

I have a HT-20 head and a Moen GEC9 routing pedal right now. I get that it could be done via MIDI if it was a S1. But the GEC9 does not have MIDI unfortunately. Doesn´t the HT100 and S1 use the same DB9 connector for the footswitch?

The GEC9 have 1/4" outputs that can be used as switches for amps etc. They use a latching signal and I use one of those right now to switch between clean/dist channel.

What I want to know is if there is a relatively simple way of using 2 tele switch outputs and somehow connect to the DB9 connector to switch between the clean, crunch and overdrive channel. Do not need a remote switch for the Reverb. If it can receive those latching signals and what pins they can be used with in that case? Can it be done DIY or does a custom adapter have to be made? If it can be made at all. :)

Or do I simply need to change my routing pedal to one that can send MIDI and then get a S1?

I really like the HT series and would like the extra channel the HT100 offers.

Thanx!
/Anders

cadblaster

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:51 pm

It should be possible. A custom cable with 1/4" plugs on one end and a DB9 on the other. I have the pinout diagram for the HTstage 60, but you should be able to use a jumper wire on the DB9 to figure out the functions on the HT20. Probably pin 4 and 5 are tied together for ground, and pins 6 thru 9 are the functions.
I usually convert the HTstage 60's to midi with a voodoo switcher http://www.voodoolab.com/controlswitcher.htm ,then use a midi controller for everything.

I think the fact that the Moen loop controller doesn't have a midi output is what holds it back from being a great pedal. Great for pedals, but limits you on being able to control amps or other FX(rack)
Even the cheap Joyo loop pedal controller has midi output.....

kazzee

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:22 pm

I agree, if the GEC9 would have MIDI, it would be awesome. However I am pressed to change it. I love the simplicity ok it. No programming needed. Very quick and easy to use.

Is it possible to use the voodo as a relay and control midi via the normal jacks or does it just work the other way around?

Can it be tested safely on my own somehow to try the different connectors on the DB9 from my outputs. Like connecting wires to the different pins to see what controls what and if it is possible to "MacGyver" a solution in between? Or cant it receive those signals at all?

Is the DB9 conector the same as a COM-port cable or VGA-cable or something? In that case it would maybe be feasible to use an old cable like that. Cut it and try the different wires functions? Or can you, or someone, supply a schematic to the pins?

Cheers!

kazzee

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:09 am

Bump.

Does anyone know any answers of the last questions?

cadblaster

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:44 pm

cadblaster wrote:. Probably pin 4 and 5 are tied together for ground, and pins 6 thru 9 are the functions.
Yes the DB9 is a standard connector.
You can find all the connectors and cable you want at www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com

kazzee

Mon May 23, 2016 2:40 pm

I am actually about to get a HT 100 and try to figure out how to control it.

Does anyone know the specs of the signals that goes through the cable? What type of signal it is and so on. Is it just a latching signal similar to that sent by a footswitch with a tele plug? Is it a normally open or normally closed circuit on the functions? What I need to achieve is the channel switching. The reverb is irrelevant to switch from my control board.

How should I go about testing the pins to figure it out? I am not an electrical genious. What and how do I need to plug it up to test the wires? Are there anything to look out for and avoid doing in such a test?

Appreciate any help here. I really want this to work!

Swedish Raimo

Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:49 am

cadblaster wrote:It should be possible. A custom cable with 1/4" plugs on one end and a DB9 on the other. I have the pinout diagram for the HTstage 60, but you should be able to use a jumper wire on the DB9 to figure out the functions on the HT20. Probably pin 4 and 5 are tied together for ground, and pins 6 thru 9 are the functions.
I usually convert the HTstage 60's to midi with a voodoo switcher http://www.voodoolab.com/controlswitcher.htm ,then use a midi controller for everything.

I think the fact that the Moen loop controller doesn't have a midi output is what holds it back from being a great pedal. Great for pedals, but limits you on being able to control amps or other FX(rack)
Even the cheap Joyo loop pedal controller has midi output.....
Is it the same with HT stage 60? Is pin 4 and 5 ground and the rest for funktions?

• Information