Blackstar HT40 Hum Problems

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
dennis1077

Sun May 11, 2014 10:38 pm

Yesterday I brought home a new Blackstar HT Club 40 combo. I LOVE IT! Played it for an hour and decided to sell my Marshall. The tone is amazing!

Later on I plugged in and noticed a loud buzzing sounds coming from the amp. Way too loud to be normal. A quick Google search revealed a lot of people having similar problems. Many are saying that the issue is due to poor electrical wiring in old houses. Granted, this COULD be the culprit. However, I've used three separate amps in this house and only the Blackstar hums. How could this be? Cheap, inferior parts?

I may take it back to the store. I've read a bunch of stories online of customers being told it's not the amp but their house. It seems crazy to me that so many people have "faulty wiring" in their house. I can't imagine how these amps respond to gigging in sketchy dive bars with florescent lighting.

Any thoughts or advice? I'd hate to just take the amp in for store credit because the tone is amazing! This SHOULD be my new main amp!

thephantum

Sun May 11, 2014 11:18 pm

I think part of the reason Blackstars sound so good is that they are potentially more sensitive to electrical interference. Try using a power filter and/or conditioner. I run a Furman M8x. It runs around $70 USD.
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=M-8x

Sonofarich

Mon May 12, 2014 3:04 am

Too many things it could be...defective cord, bad tube/input jack, cold solder joint, dirty power, etc. Swap cords and/or guitars first, to try and isolate the problem. Since it's new, you could take the exact setup back to the store and see what happens. If it's fine at the store, you potentially have answered your question (unless it's an intermittent issue). If it makes the same noise there, swap or return.

dennis1077

Thu May 15, 2014 2:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. I tried plugging into a Furman surge protector. Granted, it's not an actual power conditioner. Still a pronounced hum that appears after about 30 minutes of play. Otherwise, there are no issues. I'm just going to take it back to the store to have the amp looked over.

Robbi Rose

Wed May 21, 2014 12:56 am

It might be worth investing in an Electroharmonix Hum Debugger.

I'm not sure it will help with your problem but it is a really good bit of kit.

Sonofarich

Wed May 21, 2014 5:09 pm

If it only appears after playing for @ 30 minutes, it sounds like a heat-related issue and not dirty power.

shimmilou

Sun May 25, 2014 11:44 am

Is the noise present on both channels, or only one?

The usual first suspect in a tube amp, is the tubes. A good set of spare tubes are a good idea. It is easy enough to try a known good 12AX7 in each preamp position, one at a time. If you try a new set of output tubes, bias must be checked and set if necessary.

dennis1077

Fri May 30, 2014 9:12 pm

A tech has looked it over. Apparently there is an issue with the power tubes. He has contacted Korg for replacements. I've been waiting 2 weeks. Hopefully It will be repaired next week.

tomhansen

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:33 pm

I too a HUM with my HT club 40. It seems to start once the amp is warm. I have the amp sitting flat with all 4 feet on the floor but if I tip the amp back so that the front feet are 3" off the floor the hum goes away.
Here is an audio clip.
http://www.hansencom.com/Blackstar_HTclub40%20hum.mp3

Hoping for a perminant solution not just "tip it back" :|

dennis1077

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:37 pm

tomhansen wrote:I too a HUM with my HT club 40. It seems to start once the amp is warm. I have the amp sitting flat with all 4 feet on the floor but if I tip the amp back so that the front feet are 3" off the floor the hum goes away.
Here is an audio clip.
http://www.hansencom.com/Blackstar_HTclub40%20hum.mp3

Hoping for a perminant solution not just "tip it back" :|
That sounds like the problem I had. A tech looked it over and swapped out the power tubes. The super pronounced hum as heard in your clip is now gone. It's actually great at bedroom levels now. I do hear a rather loud hum when I turn up the volume, though it's not the same as before. I'm not sure if it's "normal." I've read countless reviews online of hum problems. Tonight will be my first time using it in a band setting. We'll see how it goes.

But, to directly answer your question, based on my experience, it sounds like the power tubes.

• Information