HT Stage 60 - Major Issues!

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Ianeye

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi All, I'm a desperate man so I'll get straight to the point!

In Summary:

- I live in the Isle of Man. I purchased a HT Stage 60 through Thomann in May 2012.
- June 2013 – The amp failed mid gig. As it was outside warranty and sounded like a simple valve issue I investigated. Discovered the 12AU7 valve had failed. I replaced all 3 pre amp valves. Amp worked fine. (There are no amp techs over here and it costs a considerable amount to ship to the UK! I’m comfortable changing pre-amp valves and know the drill)

- September 2013 – The amp failed mid gig again. I investigated and discovered the 12AU7 valve had again failed. I replaced this and the amp again worked. I contacted Blackstar due to the short lifespan of the valve and because I discovered that the HT Stage 60 is now sold without the 12AU7 valve. (I believe the 12AU7 is for Phase inversion, is this now solid state?). No reply from Blackstar

- Last Friday – Amp started smelling of burning mid gig. Saw that the Power Tubes (EL34’S) were uncharacteristically bright, one then flashed blue. I immediately switched the amp to standby and then after 30 seconds switched off. The amp has not made any sound since then. (The amp was not moved at all while switched on)

I’m now quite distraught, I really like the amp and I’ve recommended it to many people, but now my band is getting a reputation of not finishing gigs. That has not only lost us favour with our followers, it’s also lost us favour with good venues (which are very hard to come by on the Isle of Man)

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Am I just incredibly unlucky and the victim of coincidence or is there something more sinister going on in the bowels of my amp?

I'm hoping Blackstar come back to me this time also!

myk.robinson

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:16 pm

I can't speak for them, but I had some issues with my Stage 60 similar to yours. It was out of warranty, but Blackstar sent me a shipping label to return the amp at their cost, and they next day shipped me a replacement once mine was received. Send an email to enquiries@blackstaramps.com explaining the situation in great detail and see what shakes. In my case, there was no service center near me, and they were more than happy to help.

MikeD

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:30 pm

....you might just have got unlucky with your second AU7, seems plausible....as for the other tubes.....a year of gigging is just about what the standard tubes are good for, and from what I hear when in live situations you should be looking at changing every year anywho.

as for getting blackstar to admit to any SS Components....good luck!!

Sonofarich

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:43 pm

MikeD wrote:....you might just have got unlucky with your second AU7, seems plausible....as for the other tubes.....a year of gigging is just about what the standard tubes are good for, and from what I hear when in live situations you should be looking at changing every year anywho.

as for getting blackstar to admit to any SS Components....good luck!!
Yep...a new dud valve/tube is not beyond the realm of possibility. Also sounds like the power tubes are running hot. If you can't take it to a tech for biasing, you might want to think about learning how to do this yourself.

Ianeye

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks for your replies guys.

The two Power tubes are still the stock TAD EL34's . Was just looking at replacing them actually before the last incident but was holding back whilst I was reading up on bias etc.

Took the back off before and discovered a bit more. The HT Fuse appears to have blown, The filament seems intact but there is a definite notch in it and above the notch is a scorch mark on the glass.

The EL34'S both warmed up when I switched on, However, one has internal scorch marks.

Wondering if something has gone creating a power surge?

MikeD

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:17 am

Shaddy electrics at the venue...wouldn´t be a first ;-)

Your gunna have to find someone with good electrical knowledge...the fuse could either be part of the problem or just the amp trying to save itself. I reckon new tubes, new fuse and check bias and you should be good to go!! Unfortunatelly since you don´t have any tech around this is going to be your best option, just keep an eye on the amp and see what happens ....if there´s any burning smell do exactly what you did last time and then contact Blackstar.

On a second note you should really look into a backup amp or just a multi-effect you can line out.....we alway´s have an ht-5 with us.....have never had to use it but stopping mid gig is my worst nightmare.

• Information