Best pedal for driving the front end?

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Bigsmudger

Fri May 18, 2012 7:04 am

IM4Tone wrote:
Bigsmudger wrote:Tone, that FDR-1. Is that the Flame drive? Had to look it up - got the same code as the Fender deluxe reverb :)
£285!! :shock: Have to sell an amp to fund that :lol:
Sorry not to be of more help :|
Very helpful - Now I know I'm not alone in not finding a drive pedal that works in front the amp OD.
Was beginning to think it was just me.

Here's the pedal I thought you meant:
http://www.godlyke.com/providence-guita ... lame-drive

Sounds like a beauty but would need to be in a diamond encrusted gold box for me to spend that much on a stomp box
The Boss FDR-1 I can manage.....without putting a red light on the garage roof :lol:

IM4Tone

Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 am

Bigsmudger wrote:Here's the pedal I thought you meant:
http://www.godlyke.com/providence-guita ... lame-drive

Sounds like a beauty but would need to be in a diamond encrusted gold box for me to spend that much on a stomp box
The Boss FDR-1 I can manage.....without putting a red light on the garage roof :lol:
For sure...at that price, I wouldn't even listen to the demo. :shock:

JensErik

Fri May 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Using a stomp box through an OD channel will allways be difficult to tweak because the OD stage in the amp will compress sound from it. Distorting a sound that's allready distorted will produce a lot of unwanted overtones. You'll get a muddy sound when playing chords.
If you use distortion/overdrive/fuzz stomp box through the clean channel you can tweak the sound to your delight, but that means both switching channel (OD to clean) and turning on the stomp box while playing solo.

I use a Line6 HD500 with my HTV 60 Soloist with a "4 cable connection". This gives me several presets where I can pic boxes/effects in front of the amp and several effects in the effect loop of the amp (all from the vast list of HD500 built in effects). This means using the amp's preamp stages for clean/OD sounds and call up effects with foot switches (and effect pedal) from the HD500.
If I cannot create the right sound with the HT60 I can use the HD500 amp modelling (a lot of different good sounding amps) and feed the sound direct to the powestage of the HT60.
All these choices are programmable and selected by pressing a program select button.

Any multi effects board with FXLoop will do. Programmatic placement of the FXLoop in the effect chain is preferable. This controls which effects are in front of the amp and which are in the effect loop. No FXLoop in the chain means feeding everything to HT60 FXLoop return (direct to the power stage - bypassing the preamp stage).

"4 cable connection":
Cable 1: Guitar -> HD500 input
Cable 2: HD500 FXLoop send -> HT60 input
Cable 3: HT60 FXLoop send -> HD500 FXLoop return
Cable 4: HD500 output -> HT500 FXLoop return.
Configuration:
HT60 FXLoop set to instrument level.
HD500 output: Set to "output to Combo" and no speaker simulation enabled.

vbshredder

Tue May 22, 2012 7:56 pm

TS-9. Its the only one i've found that boosts channel 2 into chug territory without adding mush, or other undesireable overtones. just set the gain on 0, output around 2 oclock, tone to taste and you're all set for some balls out chugging.

KKND

Tue May 22, 2012 9:00 pm

I do occasionally set my mxr gt-od gain 0 tone noon and volume max.....pretty nice tight sound.

AliceLG

Wed May 23, 2012 9:26 am

Fulltone OCD all the way! I have it in front of my HT-5 for when I need even more balls. On the amp I have the gain craked up a little, about 2 o'clock, and then the OCD volume @ 2:00, the drive @ 8:00 (practically off), the tone @ noon and LP mode. It tightens up the low end really nice, but for soloing I'd consider switching to HP mode, it's more mid-focused.

vbshredder

Thu May 24, 2012 8:03 pm

^^ one of these days i'm going to pick up an OCD. I tried one when i got my TS9, Sounded good, but seemed to have tons of gain for an OD. I keep hearing nothing but good things about it since then.

majikmojo

Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 pm

just have to kill the gain and keep it on the low setting VB...
nice transparent pedal - turn the gain up and it frys your head...lol
i've had one on the board for years

boxofspiders

Sat May 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive. Sounds like Paul Kossoff's tone.

KKND

Sun May 27, 2012 9:11 am

guys, I need a new OD pedal :D , I have an MXR GT-OD in front of my S1 but I will migrate it to my second amp ( NAD thread soon) and trusting our mighty leader's wisdom (that is you Majik) I would love to get an OCD, but which one? :?:

Thanks

• Information